- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium high heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder,baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, butter, eggs and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined (do not overmix or your pancakes will be tough). Stir in the chocolate chips.
Ladle out about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until you begin to see bubbles forming around the edges of the pancakes, about 3 minutes. Flip each pancake over to cook the opposite side, about 1 more minute. Serve as-is or topped with butter and syrup or a dollop of fresh, unsweetened whipped cream.
Tip: Make mini pancakes and serve them room temperature as dessert drizzled with chocolate syrup!