- 1 cup giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables), drained
- 4 veal cutlets (5-6 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- A few grates of nutmeg
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved
- Green leaf lettuce leaves
Using a food processor, pulse-chop the giardiniera into a relish.
Pound the veal very thin (about 1/8-inch) and season with salt and pepper. Fill three separate shallow dishes with the flour, the eggs and the breadcrumbs seasoned with the nutmeg. Coat the veal with the flour, then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs.
Heat a layer of oil in a large skillet. Add the veal and cook over medium heat, turning once, until golden, 4-6 minutes. Drain on a rack.
Wipe out the pan; return to the heat. Add the butter and allow it to foam. Stir in the garlic for a minute. Add the parsley and lemon juice; remove from the heat.
Pile the roll bottoms with the giardiniera, lettuce, schnitzels, garlic butter and roll tops.