- 2 starchy potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- A sprinkle of paprika
- 1 cup shredded young Manchego cheese
- A small handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 hand-cut pieces of country/peasant bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 4 organic eggs
- 2 grapefruit or oranges, halved and sectioned
- A drizzle of honey
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 overly ripe tomato, cut in half
- 4 slices Serrano ham
Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook to tender. Drain and mash into a chunky mixture with the chicken stock. Season with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of paprika. Keep warm over low heat. When ready to serve, stir in the cheese and parsley.
Meanwhile, place the bread on a cooling rack set over baking sheet and toast to golden. Once the bread is toasted, remove and switch the broiler on.
Heat a pan over medium heat with the EVOO, one turn of the pan. When ready to serve, fry the eggs in oil to desired doneness, up or over-easy. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, broil the grapefruits or oranges dressed with a drizzle of honey and cinnamon to heat and char at the edges, a couple of minutes.
Rub the garlic into the toasted bread. Rub the tomato halves into each piece of bread. Drizzle them with a little EVOO and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Serve the toast topped with some potatoes, an egg and a slice of Serrano ham. Serve a piece of broiled citrus fruit alongside.