- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 fresh red chili pepper (such as Fresno, cherry or finger), seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Chopped flat leaf parsley, for topping
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water.
While the pasta is working, pat the lamb dry with paper towels.
In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned; season with salt, pepper and the fennel seed. Stir in the carrot, shallot, garlic, rosemary, oregano and orange zest. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute, then the chicken stock and wine. Bring to a bubble, then lower the heat.
Toss the pasta with the sauce and reserved cooking water for 1 minute. Top with a drizzle of EVOO and the parsley. Serve with the cheese.