For the meatloaf:
- 5 large eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- 2 thick slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds ground turkey (white and dark meat blend)
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 8 ounces smoky bacon (have the butcher slice it on the thin side)
For the spinach salad with Dijon dressing:
- 1 shallot
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound farm spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
Make the meatloaf:
Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Place four eggs in a pot, cover with water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Then cover the pot, remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Crack the shells and soak a few minutes in cold water. Peel and dry on paper towels.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery, garlic and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook to soften, 7-8 minutes. Deglaze with the beer. Cool.
Soak the bread with the milk.
Place the meat in a bowl, add the thyme and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Squeeze out the liquid from the bread and rub between your hands to crumble as you add to the meat. Add the blue cheese, cheddar, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining egg and the cooled vegetables. Mix to combine.
On the baking sheet, form half of the meat into a 10-inch long x 4-inch wide brick. Then center the hard boiled eggs lengthwise down the loaf. Top with the remaining meat and form a loaf. Coat the meatloaf with overlapping straps of bacon. Wrap and store for a make-ahead meal or bake right away.
Bake the loaf for 1 hour on the center rack. Then switch on the broiler and brown the bacon top until crisp.
Let stand for a few minutes, then slice and serve with the salad.
For the salad:
When the loaf is about ready, grate the shallot in a bowl. Add the vinegar, Dijon and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the EVOO. Toss with the spinach and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Slice the meat loaf and serve with the spinach salad.