- 3/4 pound ground white meat turkey, chicken or pork
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (1/3 palmful)
- 4-6 thin scallions, half finely chopped and half minced
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled, half grated and half sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, 1 pasted or grated, 2 sliced
- A handful of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Sesame oil, for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces)
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 cups flat kale, baby bok choy or chard, shredded
- About 1/2 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Place the meat in a bowl and season with salt, white pepper and the five-spice powder. Add the finely chopped scallions, grated ginger, grated garlic, breadcrumbs, egg yolk and sesame oil. Mix well and roll into small meatballs. Arrange on a baking sheet, drizzle with sesame oil and roast until brown and golden, 15-18 minutes.
Heat the vegetable oil in a soup pot. Add the mushrooms, sliced garlic, sliced ginger and chili pepper. Stir; add the soy sauce, water and stock and simmer to flavor. Wilt in the greens and cook to tender-crisp; combine with the meatballs.
Cool and store, then bring to room temperature and reheat to a low boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente.
Serve in shallow bowls garnished with sesame oil and thinly sliced scallions.