- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced or thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (1/3 palmful)
- 2 tablespoons flour (a handful)
- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces), such as Kitchen Basics brand
- 1 small box biscuit mi, such as Jiffy brand
- 1/2 cup warm water
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
Dice the tenders into bite-size pieces and set aside. Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Place a large pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the oil, one turn of the pan, butter, vegetables and bay leaf and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season the mixture with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add the flour to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the chicken to the broth and stir.
Place the biscuit mix in a bowl. Combine with 1/2 cup warm water and the parsley. Drop tablespoonfuls of the prepared mix into the pot, spacing the dumplings evenly. Cover the pot tightly and reduce the heat to medium-low.
Steam the dumplings for 8-10 minutes. Remove the cover and stir the chicken and dumplings to thicken the sauce a bit.
Stir the peas into the pan. Remove the chicken and dumplings from the heat and serve in shallow bowls.