- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 ribs celery hearts, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, shredded (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 1 cup frozen peas
- A couple of generous handfuls of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Crusty bread, for dunking
In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onions, carrots and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, cover the pot and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Stir in the egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, garlic and nutmeg. Roll the mixture into walnut-size meatballs (you'll have about 40) and add to the stoup. Simmer for about 10 minutes while you wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Add the gnocchi to the stoup and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the peas and parsley and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the stoup from the heat, discard the bay leaf and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with the bread.