For the cookies:
- Crisco® Butter No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 box Pillsbury® Reduced Sugar Yellow Cake (18.25 ounces)
- 1/3 stick Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening Sticks or 1/3 cup Crisco® Butter Shortening
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup peeled and shredded Granny Smith apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg
For the cinnamon frosting:
- 1/2 cup Pillsbury® Reduced Sugar Vanilla Frosting
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
HEAT the oven to 375°F. Spray the cookie sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
COMBINE the cake mix and shortening in a medium size bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until a coarse meal forms. Sprinkle the spices over the mixture. Add the apple, walnuts and egg, mixing on low speed until a smooth dough forms. Drop tablespoonsfuls of dough 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
BAKE for 11-13 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown. Cool for 1 minute. Remove to a cooling rack.
PLACE the frosting and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon into the corner of a 1 quart resealable plastic bag. Knead to combine. Seal the bag. Microwave for 5 seconds on HIGH (100% power). Snip a small edge off the bag corner. Squeeze the bag to drizzle the cooled cookies with frosting. Sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon.