- 1 chicken (4 pounds)
- 2 bulbs fennel, divided
- 1 herb bundle of flat leaf parsley, thyme and bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon ground poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 leeks, halved and quartered lengthwise
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 heads garlic, halved
- 2 pounds small potatoes, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
Stuff the chicken with one bulb of fennel, trimmed of stalks and halved, and the herb bundle. Combine the butter with the poultry seasoning, granulated onion, granulated garlic and fennel seed. Slather the butter over the chicken skin and season liberally with salt and pepper.
Slice the remaining fennel bulb and trim and cut the stalks into 4-6 inch pieces. Arrange in a roasting pan and combine with the leeks, lemon slices, garlic and potatoes. Drizzle liberally with EVOO and season liberally with salt and pepper. Set the chicken on top and roast for 1 hour. Douse with the wine and roast for 20-30 minutes more, until the juices run clear.
Cut the chicken into pieces. Serve with the pan juice and roasted fennel, leeks and potatoes alongside. Sprinkle with additional fresh herbs for garnish.