- Sea salt
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons high-temperature cooking oil, such as peanut oil
- 1 onion, quartered lengthwise and then sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, quartered and then sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste, plus remainder to pass at table (recipe follows)
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, reduced-sodium soy sauce or Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 4 Southern Italian-Style Short Ribs, shredded
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, jasmine rice or brown rice
- Zest of 1 lime, plus lime wedges for serving
- Shredded scallions and chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
Bring a couple inches of water to a boil in a saucepan and add some salt. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for 5-6 minutes. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain well and pat dry.
Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet with a rounded bottom over high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the chili paste, garlic and ginger, and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the sherry. Dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of the stock, then add it to the skillet along with the remaining stock. Stir to thicken for a minute, then add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, broccoli rabe and short ribs. Cook until heated through. (If not serving the stir fry immediately, cool and then store it in the refrigerator. Reheat over medium heat with a splash of water to loosen it up.)
Before serving, cook the rice, according to the package directions. Add the lime zest.
Serve the beef stir fry over the rice with lime wedges on the side. Garnish with the scallions and cilantro.