- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- A few sprigs of fresh oregano
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 4 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered, with root attached
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns (half a palmful)
- A few fresh bay leaves
- Kosher salt
Tie the parsley, oregano, rosemary and thyme with kitchen twine to create an herb bundle. Place the chicken, celery, carrots, onions, herb bundle, garlic, lemon, peppercorns and bay leaves in your biggest pot and cover with water – hopefully 3-4 quarts. Bring to a low boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the chicken, strain the stock and return to the stove top. Season the stock with salt.
Bone and skin the chicken and shred the meat with a knife or the tines of two large forks. Combine the light and dark meat.