- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, peeled, chopped toasted
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 pounds pork cutlets from tenderloin, pounded 1/8 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Canola or other frying oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup pinot noir
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mashed blackberries
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Bread and Butter pickle slices
- 4 crusty ciabatta rolls or hoagie rolls
Grind nuts in food processor into fine crumbs then combine with breadcrumbs in shallow dish. Line up 2 more dishes with flour and eggs alongside the breadcrumbs. Season cutlets with salt and pepper and coat in flour, egg then breadcrumbs.
Heat a shallow layer of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Preheat oven to 275ºF and place a metal cooling rack over a baking sheet.
Fry cutlets until golden brown in small batches, 2-3 minutes on each side. Place finished cutlets on the baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 2-3 minutes. Add flour and whisk 1 minute; whisk in wine and reduce 1 minute. Stir in blackberries and stock, season with salt and pepper, and cook to thicken.
Combine herbs and chop.
Place schnitzel on rolls slathered with some pinot blackberry gravy. Arrange a few pickles on top of the schnitzel, sprinkle with chopped herbs and set bun top in place.