- 10 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- All-natural olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons Spice Blend (recipe follows)
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chilies (15 ounces)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (15 ounces)
- 1 1/2 pounds beef brisket, cooked and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
- 4-6 large or jumbo organic eggs (1 per person)
- Butter, for the skillet
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Thinly sliced fresh Fresno and jalapeño peppers, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
For the Spice Rub:
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika or smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Arrange the tortilla strips on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Spray the tortillas with cooking spray and sprinkle with the Spice Blend. Bake until crisp and golden, 7-8 minutes.
Spread the tomatoes in the bottom of a 12-13-inch casserole dish and scatter the beans on top. Top with the tortillas, then the beef, and finally sprinkle with the cheeses. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the top is browned.
Meanwhile, fry the eggs in butter in a skillet. Divide the casserole among plates and serve each portion with a fried egg. Garnish with cilantro, chili peppers and lime wedges.
To make the Spice Rub, combine the salt, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, mustard seeds, coriander, cumin, ginger, oregano, cayenne and cinnamon.