- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 boneless pork butt (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 sprig oregano
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 large bulb fennel, stems and fronds trimmed off and bulb quartered lengthwise
- 3/4 cup dried apricots (about 4 ounces)
In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium heat. Working in batches, add the pork, season with salt and pepper and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl.
Pour off the fat from the pan. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, anchovies and the remaining tablespoon EVOO to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8-10 minutes. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the pork, fennel bulb and stems and the apricots; season again and press a piece of parchment on top.
Cover and cook over low heat until the meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Discard the fennel stems, then ladle the stew into large, shallow bowls and garnish with fennel fronds.