- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (eyeball it)
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 8 pieces thin-cut chicken breast cutlets
- 2 slightly under-ripe Hass avocados – dark-skinned, but still firm
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes cut into wedges
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 8 strips bacon, thick-cut, cooked until crispy, then chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 pound blue cheese, crumbled, such as Maytag Blue
Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high heat.
Mix garlic, steak seasoning, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Whisk in the EVOO. Divide the mixture between two shallow dishes. Add the flank steak to one and the thin chicken cutlets to the other. Toss to coat all of the meats thoroughly and marinate for five minutes.
While the flank steak and chicken are marinating, cut the avocados in half lengthwise, cutting around the pit. Separate the halves, then, using a spoon, scoop out the pit, then use the spoon to scoop the avocado from its skin. Chop the avocado flesh into bite-size pieces and add to a mixing bowl. Add the tomatoes, watercress and chopped bacon. Dress the salad with the juice of one lemon and a generous drizzle of EVOO, salt and pepper.
Grill flank steak 6-7 minutes on each side. Grill the thin-cut chicken cutlets 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove both meats from the grill to a cutting board to rest for about five minutes. Thinly slice the flank steak on an angle, cutting the meat against the grain. Cut the chicken into thin strips. Add both meats to a platter or dinner plates. Top the meats with a mound of the salad.
To make the dressing, combine in a small bowl the lemon zest and juice,