- Frying oil – enough to fill a long or wide pot or pan 2 1/2 inches deep, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard, such as Coleman’s brand
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 tablespoon hot sauce added with liquids
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 20-24 mini hotdogs, beef or pork
- 8 bamboo or wooden skewers (4-6 inches long), trimmed to fit in pot or fryer
- Mustards and/or ketchup, for garnish
Heat a few inches of oil in a pan or countertop fryer to 350°F, for frying.
Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder seasoned with salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using), onion powder and garlic powder into a bowl; stir in the cornmeal. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, hot sauce (if using) and 2 tablespoons oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Place a cooling rack over a baking sheet and keep the oven on 275°F to keep the corn dogs crispy while frying. Pat the hot dogs dry and skewer them, then dip the skewered hot dogs in the batter to coat. Fry 2-3 hotdogs at a time in hot oil to deep golden all over, 4-5 minutes. Drain the cooked dogs on the cooling rack and keep them warm in oven.
Serve corn dogs garnished with drizzles of mustard or sauce of your choice.