For the green chili queso:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 can green chilies (4 ounces, to taste)
- Salt and pepper
For the spicy refried beans:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can spicy vegetarian refried beans (16 ounces)
- 1 bag tortilla chips, such as RW Garcia brand
- Pickled red onions
- Sliced pickled jalapeños
For the queso: Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cheese to melt, then the green chilies. Season with salt and pepper.
For the beans: Place a medium size saucepot over medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cumin and coriander and let cook for an additional minute, or until fragrant. Add water and bring to a simmer, then add the beans. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. The consistency should be pourable.
To serve, place a serving of chips in a bowl and pour a generous spoonful of beans over the top. Then pour some queso dip on top of that and garnish with pickled red onions and jalapeños.