- Salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 cup outer romaine lettuce leaves or lacinato kale leaves, coarsely chopped and packed
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (about a generous handful), plus more for serving
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Using a food processor, puree the romaine (or kale), cheese, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste and Worcestershire; season with pepper. Add the pine nuts and about 1/4 cup EVOO and process. Stream in additional EVOO to form a thick pesto; season with salt.
In a pasta bowl, combine the pasta, pesto and reserved pasta cooking water; toss to combine. Serve with more cheese.