- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 head red cabbage, very thinly shredded
- 1 small Honeycrisp apple, chopped
- 1 cup unfiltered cider
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 4 large slices good-quality marbled rye bread
- 1 pound deli-sliced roast pork or mild imported ham
- 8 deli slices Emmenthaler cheese
In a large skillet, heat the oil, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and cook to wilt. Stir in the apple, cider, brown sugar, vinegar and caraway seed; season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and cook, tossing occasionally with tongs, until the liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, ketchup, relish, lemon juice and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Pre-heat the broiler.
Slather the bread with the sauce. Layer each slice with some slaw, loosely piled pork (or ham) and two cheese slices. Broil to melt the cheese. Pass extra slaw at the table.