- For the Dressing:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Salt and pepper
- For the Patties:
- 1 1/4 ground dark-and-white meat turkey
- 3 tablespoons grated onion (grate over the turkey to catch the juices)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground poultry seasoning, such as Bell’s (about 1/2 palmful)
- Coarse salt and pepper
- A drizzle of vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Sandwich Fixins:
- 1 1-pound package sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 8 slices marble rye or pumpernickel bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 deli slices Emmenthaler cheese
- 8 deli slices sharp cheddar
- Spicy brown mustard
In a small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients.
Heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Combine all of the patty ingredients except for the oil; form 4 patties. Drizzle the oil on the griddle, add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe the griddle.
In a small saucepan, warm the sauerkraut over medium heat.
Lightly spread 1 side of each bread slice with the butter. With the buttered sides facing down, build the patty melts: Spread the dressing liberally on unbuttered side of 4 bread slices, then top each with two slices of Emmenthaler slices, an even layer of sauerkraut, a turkey patty and 2 cheddar slices. Slather the mustard on the unbuttered sides of the 4 other slices and set in place. Griddle, turning once, until crisp on the outside and cheese is melted, 6-8 minutes.