- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- A few grates nutmeg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 package of cheese or meat tortellini
- 1 pound fresh spinach, mushroom or cheese tortellini
- 4 - 5 cups tender mixed spring greens or 1 head escarole, chopped
Bring the stock to a boil. Lower the heat to keep it at a low simmer.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, season the veal with salt and pepper. Add the ricotta and nutmeg. Mix in the breadcrumbs, garlic, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano and EVOO.
Using a small scoop, roll the veal mixture into 24 to 30 walnut-size balls.
Add the dumplings to the broth and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add the tortellini and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in the greens to wilt and turn off the heat; let stand for 2 minutes. Serve in shallow bowls.