- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound penne rigate
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 flat anchovy fillets
- 1 fresno chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers (preferably red and yellow)--quartered, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1/4 cup red or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnishing
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the anchovies to melt, then stir in the chile and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cubanelle pepper and season with the oregano (or marjoram). Cook until softened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and sugar and cook to evaporate; season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat to low.
Toss the pasta with the sauce and reserved pasta cooking water. Top with the parsley.