- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes (28 to 32 oz.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 shallot, grated or minced
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce or aged balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Cheesy Egg Toast
- 2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided as below:
- 1/4 cup finely grated and
- 1 3/4 cups grated
- 3 tablespoons Wondra flour
- 3 eggs
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 slices good-quality Italian or peasant-style bread (1 inch thick each)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Softened butter, for spreading
In a large saucepan, bring all of the jam ingredients to a boil; season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat to medium and mash with a potato masher. Cook until thick and jamlike, about 20 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 275 °. Heat a griddle pan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. In a large baking dish, whisk together the grated cheese, half-and-half and flour. Whisk in the eggs; season with a few grates of nutmeg and a few grinds of pepper. Soak the bread, 3 pieces at a time, in the egg mixture for a minute or two. Remove 1 piece at a time and press the bread into the shredded cheese. Transfer the bread to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO to the griddle or skillet and add 3 pieces of bread. Cook, turning, until golden, 5 - 6 minutes. Repeat with the remaining EVOO and bread.
Spread the savory toast with butter, then the tomato jam. If desired, top with an egg and serve with spinach or asparagus.