- 8 slices good-quality bacon
- 1 cup regular or vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce) or teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha or 1/2 teaspoon wasabi
- Sea salt and black pepper or seafood seasoning blend
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each), cut into chunks
- 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 scallions, chopped
- A few shiso leaves or a small handful cilantro leaves
- A handful of cracker crumbs or superfine breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 brioche rolls, split
- Lettuce, tomato and red onion, for topping
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Bake the bacon on a broiler pan or rack-lined rimmed baking sheet until crisp, 18-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the mayo, chives, Tamari, ketchup, relish, Sriracha, sea salt and black pepper (or seafood seasoning blend).
Using a food processor, pulse the salmon until finely-chopped; transfer to a bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the special sauce, the ginger, garlic, scallions, shiso and cracker crumbs; season with sea salt and black pepper (or seafood seasoning blend). Form into four 1-inch-thick patties.
In a large skillet or griddle pan, heat the oil. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 10 minutes for medium-rare.
Place the burgers on the roll bottoms and top with the bacon, lettuce, tomato and onion. Spread the roll tops with the remaining special sauce and place on the burgers.