- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 fresh white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stick pepperoni, casing removed and cut into a small dice
- 1 pound ball fresh mozzarella or fresh smoked mozzarella, diced
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn or thinly sliced
- 1 pound wagon wheel pasta, cooked to al dente and cooled under cold water, then drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or Italian dried seasoning
- 1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, peppers, pepperoni, mozzarella, basil and pasta in a big bowl.
Whisk garlic salt, oregano or Italian seasoning, tomato paste and vinegar together in a small bowl. Stream in EVOO (eyeball it) while continuing to whisk dressing. When EVOO is incorporated, pour dressing over pasta salad, add a few grinds of black pepper to the bowl, then toss salad to coat evenly. Adjust your seasonings to taste and serve salad. Leftovers make a great lunch or snack the next day!