- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 frying peppers, such as cubanelle, and red frying peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 hot chili pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 onion, yellow or red, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds Italian sausage links, hot, sweet or mixed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A few leaves of torn basil
- 4 sesame seed Italian-style hoagie rolls, split
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced provolone cheese, halved
Heat the EVOO in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the fennel, peppers, chili pepper, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook to soften, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place the sausage in another skillet with about 1/4 inch of water and a drizzle of oil. Bring the sausages to a boil and allow the liquids to cook away, then crisp the skins in the oil.
Add the tomato paste to the fennel and peppers and stir for 1 minute or so. Add the wine and stir for another minute; add the stock and basil. Reduce the heat to simmer.
When the sausages are crisp and cooked through, slice them on an angle and add them to the peppers and onions.
Line the rolls with cheese and fill with the sliced sausages and fennel, peppers and onions. Serve with Ritz Fried Delicata Squash Rings alongside.