- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 Fresno or Italian cherry chili pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausages
- 12 ounces haricots verts
- 4 ounces bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick slabs Italian peasant bread or semolina bread
- Softened butter
- 4 large organic eggs
For the pesto: Toast the pine nuts in a pan or in the oven, then let cool. Combine the parsley, basil, EVOO, cheese, pine nuts, garlic and chili pepper in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Char the bell pepper under a broiler or over a gas flame, turning occasionally. Place the pepper in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel off the charred skin, remove the seeds and slice.
Place the sausages in a pan with 1/2-inch of water and drizzle a little EVOO over the top. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-high. Cook until the water has evaporated, then continue to cook until the casings crisp up in the EVOO.
Meanwhile, in a second skillet over high heat, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Salt the water and add the haricots verts. Boil for 2 -3 minutes, then drain. Return the skillet to the heat and add a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned and crisp. Add the onion and cook until tender-crisp, 3-4 minutes more. Add the haricots verts and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Spread the bread with a thin layer of butter on one side. Toast each piece, buttered-side down, then flip and toast the other side. Remove the bread and slather the grilled buttered tops with some of the pesto.
Rub the griddle with a bit of butter and cook the eggs over-easy.
Arrange a few slices of roasted pepper on each piece of pesto toast and top with an egg. Serve with the sausages and haricots verts.