- 2 onions, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 4 potatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus about 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons sage, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Pre-heat the oven to 425ºF.
Combine the pork with the sage, fennel, garlic, grated onion, salt, pepper and cheese. Form eight patties.
Combine the fennel wedges, potatoes and onions with 1/4 cup EVOO, salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, turning once until tender and the potatoes are crispy.
Combine the chicken stock, vinegar and brown sugar in a small pot over medium-high heat and bring up to a bubble. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until reduced by about half and thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
Heat about a tablespoon of EVOO in large skillet or on griddle and cook the patties for 7-8 minutes, turning once.
Serve two patties with roasted fennel, potato and onions alongside with some balsamic drizzle over the top of the dish.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, visit