- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound guanciale, pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 small red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed flakes
- 1 rounded pint (1/2-2/3 pound) Brussels sprouts, cores trimmed and thinly sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- Black pepper
- A few grates of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, three turns of the pan. Add the bacon and render for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and chili pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and season with black pepper. Toss to lightly brown; season with nutmeg, thyme and lemon zest. Once the Brussels wilt and lightly brown at the edges, add the stock, lemon juice and butter; reduce the heat to low.
Salt the boiling water for the pasta. Drop the pasta and cook to al dente; reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water. Drain the pasta and toss with the sprouts and a little starchy cooking water. Remove from the heat and toss with the cheese; serve immediately.