- 8 chicken breast cutlets, pounded very thin (whole breasts butterflied and pounded)
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- 4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced and 1 for juicing
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers in brine, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or white wine or an additional 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Warm bread, for mopping
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Warm a serving platter or large plate in a 250ºF oven.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
Heat a couple of turns of the pan of EVOO in the skillet. Cook the chicken in small batches, browning lightly on each side, adding more EVOO as necessary. Transfer to a warm platter and cover with foil.
To the skillet, add the butter and melt. Add the lemon slices and lightly brown. Add the garlic and stir for a minute; add the capers and deglaze the pan with the vermouth or wine. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice and parsley. Slide the chicken into the pan and pass through the sauce. Return to the platter and serve with bread, for mopping.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, visit