- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 cloves garlic, cracked away from skin and crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- A couple pinches salt
- 2 1/2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1/2 bottle dark Mexican beer, such as Modelo Negro or Dos Equis
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley or cilantro, chopped
In a deep skillet with a cover pre-heated over medium-high heat, add oil, garlic, onion and jalapeño. Season with salt and sauté for two minutes.
Arrange mussels in the pan. Pour in beer and tomatoes and shake the pan to combine. Cover pan and cook three minutes or until mussels open. Remove from heat and spoon sauce down into shells.
Garnish with parsley or cilantro. Serve immediately from the pan.