- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each, 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 slices smoked or fresh mozzarella, 1/2-inch thick
- 8 slices speck or prosciutto di Parma
- 8 slices vine-ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- A few leaves of basil, torn
Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the butter and garlic clove and melt the butter into the oil. Add the chicken and lightly brown, 2-3 minutes per side, then remove to a plate.
Sprinkle the chopped thyme over the chicken and top each piece with a slice of cheese, then wrap with the speck or prosciutto di Parma. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon olive oil to lightly coat. Bake for 15-20 minutes and remove; switch on the broiler.
Arrange the tomatoes on a baking sheet and cover them with the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Broil until golden, 3 minutes or so. Arrange two slices of broiled tomatoes on each chicken breast, garnish with torn basil and serve.