- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken drummers, 4 thighs and 4 small pieces split breast
- Kosher salt
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- A few sprigs thyme and rosemary
- A few cloves crushed garlic
For the 10-flavor flour:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons each granulated garlic, granulated onion and sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon each ground coriander, allspice, mustard, cayenne pepper or red pepper and ground thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Frying oil
- Hot sauce and honey, to pass at table
One day before frying, toss the chicken with the kosher salt, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Place uncovered in the fridge on the bottom shelf overnight.
Rinse and dry the chicken and bring to room temperature, 30-60 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
Place a baking sheet set with a wire rack insert near the stovetop.
Combine the flour and cornmeal with the spices in a shallow dish; place the buttermilk in a bowl. Heat about 1 inch of frying oil in large, cast iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat to about 360ºF.
Working with four pieces at a time, coat the chicken in flour, then buttermilk, then flour again and fry to golden on each side; transfer to the baking sheet. Once all of the chicken is brown and crispy, place in the lower third of oven and roast for 30 minutes to cook through.
Serve with hot sauce and honey for topping and pass sides of your choice, such as mashed potatoes or biscuits, oil-and-vinegar slaw salad or cooked greens.