- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red Fresno chili pepper or jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups (1/2 pound) shredded Monterey Jack cheese or mild cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 large or 2 medium bags good quality kettle-cooked potato chips
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Frank’s® RedHot® or other cayenne pepper hot sauce
- Celery and carrots, finely chopped into 1/8-inch dice, for garnish
- 1 small bundle of scallions, finely chopped or thinly sliced
- Optional toppings: Chives and parsley or eliminate the blue cheese crumbles and garnish with finely chopped tomato, red onion and cilantro
Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
Heat the butter in a saucepan. Add the onions, garlic and chili pepper and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and thicken; stir in the Monterey Jack and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses.
Arrange a layer of potato chips on a baking sheet; top with the cheese sauce and blue cheese crumbles. Place in the oven and bake until the cheese melts and the edges are brown.
Serve on a platter or in shallow bowls topped with hot sauce and finely chopped carrot, celery and onion.