- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus melted butter for brioche rolls
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 8 large good-quality knockwurst or hot dogs
- 8 brioche lobster rolls or soft hot dog rolls, split and toasted, brushed with melted butter
- 8 eggs
- Mustard and ketchup (in squirt bottles) and hot sauce of choice, for topping
Soak the potatoes in salted water for a few minutes, then drain well; grate the onion into the potatoes.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat with the canola oil; add the butter to the oil and melt. Add the potatoes and onion to the skillet and season with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic. Cook the hash browns until crispy and brown, turning occasionally.
Warm the hot dogs in simmering water to heat through. Remove and split them open, cutting them lengthwise to open them up like books. Cook the dogs on a hot griddle until the casings and meat are crispy on both sides. Remove to the toasted, buttered rolls. In the same skillet, fry the eggs over-easy or medium.
Top the dogs with mustard then potatoes; drizzle with ketchup, top with egg and dot with hot sauce. Serve.