For the cream:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup whole coffee beans
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
For the cake:
- 4 ounces dark (70%) chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (12 ounces), at room temperature
- 1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes (5 ounces), at room temperature
- 1 cup fava bean flour (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour (2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Stir the beans into the cream. Cover and steep in the refrigerator for 4-24 hours.
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
Melt the chocolate and cool slightly. In an electric mixer, cream the butter with the sugars and honey. Mix in the eggs, then the chocolate and potatoes, and beat until the texture is thick and smooth. Whisk the dry ingredients together and add them to the wet in three batches. Pour into the pan and bake for 1 hour, or until the center of the cake springs back when pressed.
Strain and whip the cream. Add the vanilla, sprinkle in the sugar, and whip to incorporate.