- 4 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup combined celery, green bell pepper and onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 pound 300-count shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Tabasco, to taste
- 1 package ground dark meat blend turkey
- 1/23/4 pound andouille sausage, casing removed
- 6 scallions, whites and greens, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- Lightly toasted Italian bread or good-quality white bread or peasant bread
Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle for the burgers.
Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Melt the butter and stir to melt or heat the oil; whisk in the flour and stir until deep golden and fragrant. Add the chopped celery, bell pepper and onions, garlic, salt and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a low boil or bubble. Add the shrimp and cook through, 2-3 minutes.
Add hot sauce, to your taste.
Place the turkey in a bowl. Add the andouille to a food processor and pulse to finely chop. Add the sausage to the turkey with the scallions and thyme, salt and pepper. Form four patties that are thicker at edges and thinner at the center. Drizzle the patties with oil and cook for 12-14 minutes to cook through.
Place the lightly toasted bread on a plate'; top with a burger and cover with gravy.