- 2 petite beef shoulder filets (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 12 slices thick or butcher-cut bacon
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3-4 tablespoons chives, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 12-16 small French or brioche rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed, washed and dried
Bring the beef to room temperature before you begin to cook. Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Pre-heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan and bake until crisp, 15-18 minutes.
Meanwhile, coat the beef with EVOO; season liberally with salt and pepper. In the heated skillet, brown the filets over medium-high heat, 5-6 minutes, then finish in the oven for another 5-6 minutes for medium to medium-rare. Remove and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
Combine the sour cream with the horseradish, chives and lemon juice; season, to taste.
Slice the meat very thinly against the grain. Serve on the rolls topped with the bacon, watercress leaves and horseradish cream.