- 24 halved serrano peppers
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- A small handful cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/2 cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1 pound good-quality smoky, thick-cut bacon
- 3 avocados, sliced
- 2 limes
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, halved and sliced
- Celery salt and pepper
- 12-16 hot dogs, pork or beef
- 12-16 hot dog rolls, brioche, potato or roll of choice
- Shredded iceberg or romaine heart
- Ketchup and mustard
Place the serrano peppers and onion in a small container with the cilantro or parsley leaves and coriander seed. Bring the vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a low boil in a small saucepan and pour over the top of the peppers. Cool and store several hours or overnight.
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp, 20 minutes.
Dress the sliced avocado with lime juice. Dress the tomatoes with celery salt and pepper.
Par-boil the hot dogs fpr a few minutes in simmering water to heat through, then crisp up the casings on a grill or griddle. Toast the rolls.
Fill the rolls with sliced crisp bacon, lettuce, avocado, serrano peppers, tomatoes and dogs and top with drizzles of ketchup and mustard.