- 1 1/2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, seeded and chopped
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled and diced in bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 lemons, juiced, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or pasted, divided
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 cup parsley leaves, packed and chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 naan or pita
- Shredded romaine
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables), drained and chopped (optional garnish)
Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
Boil 1 1/2 cups water and pour over the bulgur in a mixing bowl. Cover and let stand to cool to room temperature, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, arrange the fennel, red bell pepper, chili pepper and zucchini on a baking sheet and dress with EVOO, salt and pepper. Arrange the butternut squash on a larger baking sheet, dress with EVOO and season with salt and pepper and a little freshly grated nutmeg. Roast until the vegetables and squash are tender and brown at the edges, 17-20 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk up two-thirds of the lemon juice, about 1/2 cup EVOO and some salt and pepper with 2 cloves garlic. Working in a large bowl of water, separate the pomegranate seeds and add to the mixing bowl, along with the parsley, mint, onions and bulgur; toss to combine.
In a small bowl, whisk up the yogurt, 1/4 cup water, tahini, the remaining lemon juice, the remaining clove garlic, cumin and some salt and pepper. Pour into a container and refrigerate.
Cool the roasted vegetables and combine with the tabbouleh. Store, covered, in the fridge for a make-ahead salad supper.
To serve, heat a griddle pan and douse with a splash of water. Add the naan and blister for 30 seconds on each side. Fill each naan with shredded lettuce and tabbouleh salad and top with the dressing, nuts and optional chopped hot pickled vegetables.