- 1 large bulb fennel, very thinly sliced, with a few fronds reserved for garnish
- 6 ribs celery with leafy tops, very thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 bunch scallions, very thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons capers, drained
- 16-20 large shrimp, peeled (tails left on) and deveined
- 16-20 large sage leaves
- 16-20 thin slices pancetta
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan or griddle to medium.
Combine the fennel, celery and scallions with half the lemon juice and just enough EVOO to lightly coat; season and top with the fennel fronds and capers.
Dress the shrimp with the remaining lemon juice, then season and coat with EVOO. Place a sage leaf on each shrimp along the line where it was deveined, then wrap each shrimp with a slice of pancetta, securing the sage. Drizzle the wrapped shrimp with a bit more of the EVOO and grill, turning occasionally, until the shrimp is firm and the pancetta is crisp, 8-10 minutes. Serve with the fennel salad.