- 4 ounces gorgonzola dolce
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 pounds ground veal or chicken
- 12 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pasted or grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 4 slices prosciutto di Parma, folded in half crosswise
- 4 ciabatta or other crusty rolls, split
- Spinach (optional)
Pre-heat the broiler.
In a small bowl, combine the cheese and butter.
In a medium size bowl, combine the meat with the sage, garlic and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper and form into four patties. Drizzle the patties with EVOO. On a griddle pan or in a large skillet, cook the patties over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, 10-12 minutes. Transfer the burgers to a plate. Add the prosciutto to the skillet; cook until crisp on both sides, turning once, 2 minutes. Transfer the prosciutto to a plate.
Toast the rolls under the broiler. Slather with the gorgonzola butter while hot.
In the same skillet, wilt the spinach, if using, over medium-high heat and place some on each roll bottom. Top with the patties, prosciutto and roll tops.