- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon superfine sugar or 1 tablespoon light agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2-2 pounds ground turkey breast
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices mustard seed-flavored Beemster (Gouda) cheese or smoked Gouda
- 4 potato rolls, split and toasted
- Spicy brown mustard
- Bread-and-butter pickles
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and warmed
- Salt-and-vinegar potato chips
In a large skillet, heat the oil or EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Crisp the bacon bits, 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes more. Add the sugar and vinegar; stir again and remove from the heat. Let cool.
In a large bowl, season the turkey lightly with salt and aggressively with pepper. Add the parsley, Worcestershire, the cooled bacon mixture and the pan drippings. Stir to combine, then form four patties that are thinner at the center for even cooking.
Reheat the skillet over medium-high. Add the burgers and cook, flipping once, 12 minutes. Top each slice of cheese during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking.
Slather each roll bottom with mustard and top with a burger, sauerkraut, pickles and roll top. Serve with potato chips.