- 2 medium to large zucchini, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped out with a spoon
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 1 eggplant, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3-4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper or small bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup drained canned diced Italian tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese (16 ounces), patted dry, cut into quarters, then thinly sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- A few fresh basil leaves, torn
Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
Arrange the zucchini on a baking sheet, cut-side down; coat with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Roast until softened and beginning to brown, 8-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, salt the eggplant and let it sweat on a kitchen towel for a few minutes. In a medium size skillet over medium-high heat, warm the EVOO, three turns of the pan. Add the onion, garlic, roasted red pepper, thyme and crushed red pepper; season. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, partially cover and cook until very tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes.
Remove the zucchini from the oven; fill with the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with the grated cheese, then top with the sliced mozzarella. Garnish each pizza with a few tomato slices. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese begins to brown, 5-8 minutes. Garnish with the basil. Cut into pieces if desired.