- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 mild red pepper or green frying pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup veal stock or chicken stock
- 1/2-3/4 pound macaroni
- Sour cream, to taste
- 1 cup blue cheese or smoked blue cheese, crumbled
- Chopped fresh parsley and/or dill and/or chives, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
In a Dutch oven or pot, heat the EVOO over medium-high. Add the beef and cook until browned. Add the frying pepper, onion, garlic and paprika; season with salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer the goulash until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, salt the boiling water and cook the macaroni until al dente. Reserve a little cooking water, then drain the macaroni.
Stir a few spoonfuls of sour cream into the goulash, to taste. Stir in the macaroni, adding pasta cooking water as needed to keep the mixture from becoming too dry.
Top the goulash with the blue cheese and herbs.