- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground sage (1/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 8 slices good-quality white bread or Italian bread
- 2-3 tablespoons melted butter
- Warm honey, for drizzling
Pre-heat a griddle pan to medium-high.
Combine the pork with the wine, fennel, granulated garlic, onion, sage, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and EVOO. Mix with your hands to combine, then form eight small, thin patties. Cook the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side, then keep warm in a low oven. Reduce the heat under the pan to medium for the French toast.
Whisk up the eggs, remaining salt and pepper, a little nutmeg and the grated cheese in a dish. Coat the bread slices in the egg batter and cook on the griddle in a little melted butter until golden and cooked through.
Serve the cheese toast with the sausage patties alongside, drizzled with warm honey.