For the spice rub:
- 1/4 cup smoked sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper or cayenne pepper
For the brisket and sammies:
- 1 8-pound brisket with a very thin layer of fat on top
- 1 red onion, grated
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup lager-style beer, at room temperature
- 8 seeded sourdough rolls, split
- Extra-sharp cheddar, coarsely grated (a white, extra-sharp cheddar will do)
For the RR Smoky Beef BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Coarse black pepper
For the Horseradish Sauce:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chives, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
- Salt and pepper
For the Red Cabbage Slaw:
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced or grated
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- Salt and pepper
Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Generously coat the brisket with lots of black pepper on all sides, followed by the spice rub, massaging the spices into the meat. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight in the fridge.
Pre-heat a smoker to around 250°F and set up for cooking over indirect heat by placing coals and wood chips to one side. Place the brisket on the other side and cook, fat side up, for 4 hours.
Pull the meat off and slather with the grated onion. Using a double layer of foil, create a pouch/packet for the brisket. Add apple juice and beer and tightly seal the foil.
Place back in the smoker for another 2 hours, adding a handful of chips and 12 or so coals. After 2 hours, open the lid and let the brisket sit in the packet for another hour.
Combine all ingredients for RR Smoky Beef BBQ Sauce in a small saucepot and cook over a low bubble for 15-20 minutes. Reserve.
Stir the ingredients for the Horseradish Sauce together in a small bowl to combine. Reserve.
To serve, thinly slice the brisket on a large cutting board. Add some RR Smoky Beef BBQ Sauce and give everything a rough chop to combine.
Assemble sammies by placing a pile of brisket on a roll bottom. Add a sprinkle of cheese, then some Red Cabbage Slaw. Slather the roll tops with horseradish sauce and replace tops.