For the poblano salsa (salsa verde):
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1 large white or yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 4-6 medium tomatillos
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- A drizzle of agave or light honey, such as Acacia honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
For the nachos:
- Shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans (spicy or traditional), cooked with 1 cup water or stock and 1 tablespoon cumin
- Pickled jalapeños, cilantro, sour cream with lime zest, chili powder and sliced radishes
- Shredded mozzarella
Pre-heat the oven to 500ºF.
Lightly the spray or drizzle the poblanos, onions, garlic and jalapeño peppers with olive oil and roast until the peppers and tomatillos are charred and the onions are tender. Remove the garlic when light golden and tender; the peppers may need turning as well. Cool the peppers in a covered bowl, then peel and seed.
In a food processor, combine the three-quarters of the peppers, onions, garlic and tomatillos with the cilantro, honey, lime juice and salt, and pulse to chop or puree to your desired consistency. Adjust the seasonings, to taste.
Layer the nachos with the chicken, refried beans, salsa, remaining roasted poblano slices and shredded mozzarella.