- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2-2 pounds large shrimp-peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon zest and 1 tablespoon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup vodka or dry vermouth
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup basil (a small handful), roughly torn
- Crusty bread
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over medium-high. When the EVOO begins to shimmer, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, 4-5 minutes.
Add the shrimp and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper. Toss until the shrimp is pink and opaque in the center, 2-3 minutes. Add the vodka; toss for 1 minute. Add the creme fraiche and stir until the sauce is smooth. Off the heat, stir in the parsley and basil. Divide the shrimp among shallow bowls and drizzle with a few drops of the lemon juice. Serve with the crusty bread.